Roseau County History
Roseau County was first surveyed in 1888.
On December 31st, 1894, Governor Knute Nelson made the proclamation that the eastern part of Kittson County, consisting of 30 Townships, would become a new County, which was to be called Roseau County. The eastern boundary at that time was actually Golden Valley, Mickinock, Malung, Spruce, and Spruce Valley Townships. The area line east of this boundary was unorganized territory and a part of Beltrami County. Leaders in the new county wanted to include the Lake of the Woods area so took steps to have it annexed to Roseau County. By petition to the Governor David Clough this annexation was completed on February 11, 1896, when the governor issued a proclamation detaching 15 townships, equal to 600 square miles and adding them to Roseau County.
In 1894 the tax roll listed 228 names of settlers, scattered throughout the area.
The Webster Hotel was purchased in January, 1898, for the first courthouse (currently Holter’s Floral). A new courthouse was built in 1913, across from the first courthouse. The cost was $21,139.75 plus $1,266.81 in architectural fees. A front entry was added in 1968 for $3,784.01.
The first County Commissioners appointed work: Lars Hagland, Charles Hedlund, A.O. Skagen, Hans Erickson, and S.G. Bertilrud. The first County officers appointed were: CA Moody, Auditor; A.J. Loken, Treasurer; T.S. Nomeland, Register of Deeds; Iver Torfin, Clerk of Court; J.W. Durham, Sheriff; L.P. Dahlquist, Superintendent of Schools; R.J. Bell, Attorney; O.B. Ekman, Judge of Probate; and W.H. Book, Surveyor/Engineer. Taken from the Roseau County Heritage Book